Wednesday, May 31, 2017

School Days - Fall 2014 through Spring 2016

Niccolea on the deck of the Forerunner with a barge in the background

I came to the Pacific Northwest a complete nautical newbie. Prior to my invitation to sail around the world, I had only been on a rowboat on a lake!

When I saw the pamphlet in the employment office for the maritime program at the community college, taking some classes seemed like a GREAT idea. So, I enrolled.

Since we were off schedule getting the boat ready to leave in 2015, I figured I could take the one year certificate program and we could leave in 2016.

I spent the fall term learning the basics of reading a chart and being a crew member on a repurposed 40 foot fishing vessel called Forerunner that served as the school ship. I learned (mostly) the nautical rules of the road. I even had some helm time and did docking drills. (!!)

I met some great fellow mariners who were in school to have a leg up when they entered into merchant mariner positions in the industry. I was an oddball lubber who was learning for learning sake, but they accepted me and I made some really great friends.

The classroom courses were HARD! I struggled EVERY DAY with the book work. I felt so lost and totally out of it. I felt like I had no clue. And yet... I managed to get all As and Bs on my tests and final exams! I was able to be a member of the Phi Theta Kappa honor society!

It was a wonderfully challenging experience to do all those classes and to spend all that time out on the river with fellow mariners. I wouldn't trade it for the world and will probably go back and finish the AS degree later.

Thanks for reading!
~ Niccolea



Check out our main website and our YouTube channel when you get a chance. ^_^





saul night 1 - edited and cropped
Hi! My name is Niccolea Miouo Nance.  I am a poet, artist, amateur fire-spinner, and soon to be world traveler via sailboat. I love learning new things and challenging myself (hence this project). Above all else, I love to enjoy life and be spontaneous.

Below are links to press regarding the sailing trip around the world. Plus, a local Portland, OR TV station may pick it up as well. Stay tuned!

Black Poet Readies to Make History as First African American Woman to Sail Around the World - https://lockerdome.com/7759088872341313/8375857752317972
 .
Everyday People: Astorian hopes to make history sailing the world - http://www.dailyastorian.com/Everyday_People/20160502/everyday-people-astorian-hopes-to-make-history-sailing-the-world
me on the school ship x

No comments:

Post a Comment